The Teen Challenge – Avoiding Gum Disease
Although dental care isn’t usually a teenager’s top priority, it’s important to prevent gum disease in the teenage years. About 60 percent of 15-year-old teens have the early stage of gum disease known as gingivitis. Some teens are fortunate enough to have an affordable dentist who will help monitor their habits. Dentists can provide quick intervention when dental care is lacking. If you have a teenager who isn’t taking their dental care seriously, help them understand how embarrassing it would be to suffer bad breath, discoloration, or tooth loss due to gum disease. The following tips can help you educate your teens about ways to prevent gingivitis and periodontitis.
- Teenagers don’t think brushing and flossing are cool, and they rarely understand the value of limiting sugary drinks and snacks. You can emphasize the need for healthy habits by reminding teens that they may face criticism from peers if they show obvious signs of poor dental health.
- Routine trips to your family dentistry professional are essential. Never use the visits as a punishment, even if your teens have been demonstrating poor dental care. Keep the subject positive, and tell your teens they will feel better after the visit.
- Your teens aren’t likely to notice when their toothbrushes have become worn and ineffective. Be sure to keep bathrooms fully stocked with new brushes, dental floss, and toothpaste.
- Keeping healthy alternatives to sugary foods and drinks in your home helps to encourage better habits. Fresh fruits, vegetables, water, and milk are great choices.
- Hormonal changes during puberty can raise the risk of gum disease in females. Be especially careful to monitor at-home dental care habits in teenage girls.
- Schedule routine dental cleanings for your teens with your family dentistry team, and don’t hesitate to ask questions about their dental care. Every affordable dentist has resources and treatments to help ensure that your teens keep their smiles healthy.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Tampa, call Advanced Dental Care of Tampa today at (813) 701-3088 or make an appointment.
Advanced Dental Care offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Tampa. With 21 affiliated practices throughout Florida, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Advanced Dental Care of Tampa, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Advanced Dental Care of Tampa.