Sink Your Teeth into the 4 Types of Braces
Today, there are many choices for orthodontics to meet specific needs, from traditional metal to invisible braces. Discover which type of treatment is best for a better smile.
- Traditional Metal-Based Braces
While metal braces of the past featured bulky brackets and shiny wires, advances in family orthodontics have made metal braces more comfortable, much smaller, and much less detectable. These have proven effective for decades and remain a popular option, especially as braces for kids. Most orthodontists in Tampa offer many varieties in addition to the conventional metal.
- Most affordable braces
- Ideal braces for kids
- Options for colored bands
- Proven effectiveness
- Most noticeable orthodontics option for braces
- Metal brackets and wires can irritate mouth
- Tooth-Colored or Clear Ceramic Braces
Ceramic braces are shaped and sized similarly to metal braces, but they have tooth-colored or clear brackets and wires that are much less noticeable than metal. They have become very popular and are offered by many orthodontists in Tampa. An orthodontist often recommends them to adults and teens that are self-conscious about wearing braces.
- Can move teeth quicker than Invisalign invisible aligners
- More discreet than metal braces
- Less affordable braces than metal
- Brackets may stain without proper care
- Lingual Braces
While this orthodontics option features the same metal brackets as traditional metal braces, they are attached to the back of the teeth instead of the front. The result is much less noticeable wear. An orthodontist will usually recommend them for adults who are insecure about being seen with braces.
- Barely visible from the outside
- Requires more time for adjustments
- Hard to clean
- Less affordable braces than other options
- Not suitable for complex dental needs, so not the best braces for kids
- Often uncomfortable at first
- Invisalign Invisible Aligners
This is one of the newest types of braces offered by family orthodontics practices. Rather than moving teeth with brackets and wires, Invisalign uses a series of custom-made, clear plastic aligners. Each is worn for about two weeks and then replaced with the next in the series. They are removed to ease eating, drinking, and cleaning teeth.
- Virtually invisible
- Removable for better function
- Not recommended for complex dental problems
- Can be easily lost or misplaced
- Only used for adults and teens, so not an option as braces for kids
- Least affordable type of braces
- May require longer treatment time
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Tampa, call Advanced Dental Care of Tampa today at (813) 701-3088 or make an appointment.
Advanced Dental Care offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Tampa. With 20 affiliated practices throughout Florida, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Advanced Dental Care of Tampa, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Advanced Dental Care of Tampa.