How to Alleviate Chipped Tooth Pain While You Wait to See Your Dentist
A fractured, cracked or chipped tooth that involves injury to the dentin or pulp can be painful, and cause sensitivity to hot and cold foods and drinks. Although the pain may not be constant, ignoring it is never a good idea. The longer you wait to see your dentist for professional evaluation, the more you risk serious complications like infection and even tooth loss. As soon as you discover a chipped tooth or develop dental pain, make an emergency appointment to see an affordable dentist as soon as possible.
If you’re unable to see the dentist on the same day, here are a eight ways to help reduce the pain and sensitivity of chipped teeth until your scheduled visit:
- Apply eugenol, commonly known as oil of cloves. Soak a piece of cotton in the oil, and hold it against the painful area for about 10 seconds. Don’t swallow the oil. You can find eugenol at most health food stores.
- Floss between the chipped teeth and adjacent teeth. Food or debris lodged between teeth can increase pain.
- Take over-the-counter pain relievers such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen. Never place aspirin or any other medication directly on your tooth, which can burn the tissue.
- Use temporary dental cement or filling material to temporarily seal a crack or hole.
- Sleep with extra pillows to keep your head elevated; this reduces the pressure around the area of the chipped tooth and may help to relieve pain.
- Rinse your mouth with warm salt water several times a day to soothe pain and help keep bacterial growth under control.
- Avoid consuming food or drinks that are high in sugar or acid, such as citrus fruits and juices, coffee, and vinegar.
- Drink beverages without ice. Avoid foods and drinks that are very cold or hot. Allow hot drinks to cool to room temperature
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Tampa, call Advanced Dental Care of Tampa today at (813) 701-3088 or make an appointment.
Advanced Dental Care offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Tampa. With 21 affiliated practices throughout Florida, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Advanced Dental Care of Tampa, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Advanced Dental Care of Tampa.