Dental Care for Seniors- A Primer for Your Prime Years
Human teeth are strong, and they’re meant to last throughout your entire life. Unfortunately, the passage of years can bring changes that compromise your oral health. By itself, your age doesn’t dictate the condition of your teeth and gums; any person of any age can suffer from dental disease. Although challenges may arise, your dentist can help you counteract them, and keep your natural smile intact throughout your golden years. Practicing good oral hygiene, seeing your dentist regularly, and being aware of risk factors can help you detect dental problems early and avert negative outcomes.
8 Common Dental Care Challenges
If you have any of the following signs and symptoms, discuss treatment options with your dentist in Tampa and find out the latest on dental care for seniors.
- Gum disease, including gingivitis and advanced periodontitis, are common in seniors. They are caused by a buildup of bacteria-laden dental plaque.
- Tooth loss is common in seniors and is usually related to advanced periodontal disease.
- Dry mouth is caused by reduced saliva flow, which may be related to certain diseases, prescription drugs, and cancer treatments.
- Denture-caused stomatitis is an inflammation of tissues underneath a denture. Yeast overgrowth and ill-fitting dentures are possible causes.
- Decay of the tooth’s root occurs when gum tissues recede and expose the roots. Because they are porous and have no protective enamel layer, roots are more vulnerable to decay.
- A diminished sense of taste can be caused by medications, dentures, and aging.
- An uneven jawbone may develop over time if missing teeth are not replaced.
- Darkened teeth are often the result of stains or changes in the tooth’s dentin, which is the naturally yellow-colored tissue that lies beneath enamel.
Hygiene Tips for Healthy Smiles
To avoid gingivitis, periodontitis, root decay, and other preventable problems, practice good oral hygiene consistently. Brush your teeth at least twice every day, floss between teeth once a day, and visit your dentist on a regular basis for early detection and treatment of developing oral health problems.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Tampa, call Advanced Dental Care of Tampa today at (813) 701-3088 or make an appointment.
Advanced Dental Care offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Tampa. With 21 affiliated practices throughout Florida, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Advanced Dental Care of Tampa, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Advanced Dental Care of Tampa.