5 Ways to Beat Your Dental Fear
National Anxiety Month is observed in April, and data from a study released by Delta Dental Plans focuses on one of the most common sources of anxiety in the nation: dental treatment. Dental anxiety affects millions, and it often develops early in life. Some children are afraid of dentist instruments or unusual odors and tastes. Others fear pain after experiencing it at the dentist’s office. Some kids seem to have developed dental anxiety for no reason at all, but the study revealed a possible source of their dental fear—it’s passed along by their parents. An equal number of parents and children surveyed reported fear of dentists.
Defeat Adult Dental Anxiety
You can avoid passing along your own dental anxiety to kids by maintaining a positive outlook about dentistry and addressing your outdated dental fear. Here are five ways for adults to stop being afraid of dentist appointments.
- Know that you’re in control. Agree on a specific hand gesture to let your dentist know when you want to take a break or stop the procedure.
- Share your concerns, and request details about treatments and procedures. If your dentist knows you have dental anxiety, he or she can make an extra effort to allay your fears.
- Ask your dentist about modern anesthesia options like inhaled or intravenous sedation and topical gels.
- Try distraction methods. Choose a clinic that offers a big-screen television or virtual reality glasses during treatment, or take your iPad and headphones.
- If your dental fear is causing you to avoid proper dental care, seek professional help. Cognitive behavioral therapy can help you learn to cope with fear in a more productive way.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Tampa, call Advanced Dental Care of Tampa today at (813) 701-3088 or make an appointment.
Advanced Dental Care offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Tampa. With 21 affiliated practices throughout Florida, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Advanced Dental Care of Tampa, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Advanced Dental Care of Tampa.