Why Braces are Best at an Early Age
Give your child a head start on straighter teeth. Today, orthodontists recommend early treatment to help guide a child’s dental development and prevent problems later in life.
A Child’s First Orthodontic Screening
Braces can be worn at any age, but orthodontists agree that treatment at a young age is always the best option. The American Association of Orthodontics advises that children get their first orthodontic screening by the age of six. There are many reasons for these recommendations regarding early care, including:
- Permanent teeth start to erupt usually between the ages of six and seven.
- It’s possible to help permanent teeth emerge into better positions by detecting problems before they come in.
- Because the jaw is still growing, many problems are easier to treat.
- Since young bones are still developing, they’re more receptive to treatment.
- Orthodontists can determine the proper course of treatment required over the next few years.
Options for Stylish Braces
Modern braces no longer mean mouths full of metal, since new clear appliances and colorful elastics give kids more stylish smiles. Many choose and change the colors of elastics to match their mood or show school spirit. Orthodontists love this trend since it gets kids involved with treatment.
Getting Used to Braces
Luckily, today’s sleek new braces are very comfortable and surprisingly subtle, but it can take time for children to get used to wearing them. Some of the best orthodontist tips for adjusting to braces include:
- Because food gets caught in the brackets and wires of braces, take more time when brushing and flossing.
- At first, take small bites of food and chew slowly since eating may be difficult.
- Try an over-the-counter pain reliever if you have any soreness after an adjustment.
Ask your dentist for recommendations for finding the best orthodontist for your child.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Tampa, call Advanced Dental Care of Tampa today at (813) 701-3088 or make an appointment.
Advanced Dental Care offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Tampa. With 21 affiliated practices throughout Florida, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Advanced Dental Care of Tampa, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Advanced Dental Care of Tampa.