Don’t Make These 10 Common Brushing Mistakes
If you develop bad brushing habits, you may end up visiting your local family dentistry office more than expected. Brushing your teeth is the most important part of your oral hygiene routine, but it’s easy to make mistakes that could lead to serious problems later. To avoid expensive dental care bills, don’t make the following tooth brushing mistakes.
Tooth Brushing Mistakes
- Choosing the wrong toothbrush is a common mistake. Your toothbrush should fit comfortably in your mouth and reach all of your teeth.
- Using hard bristles can actually damage tooth enamel. Choose soft-bristled brushes, and rely on your brushing technique to clean your teeth thoroughly.
- If you don’t brush often enough or long enough, you’re not removing plaque and bacteria effectively. You should brush at least twice a day and for two full minutes each time.
- Brushing too often or too hard is also a mistake. Either can damage your gum tissue and tooth enamel. Brush no more than three times a day, and be gentle.
- Incorrect brushing techniques don’t remove plaque. Use circular or vertical strokes. Don’t brush across your teeth. Be sure to brush all tooth surfaces and your tongue.
- Don’t start in the same place every time you brush. It may tempt you to spend less time or effort on the last area you target.
- Don’t forget to brush the inner surfaces of teeth, especially those of the lower front teeth.
- Always rinse your brush after you use it. If you don’t, bacteria will grow on the bristles, and you will reintroduce it into your mouth the next time you brush.
- Allowing your toothbrush to remain wet between brushings is a mistake that will lead to bacterial and fungal growth. If you cap your brush, be sure the cap allows air to reach the bristles.
- Not replacing an old brush when bristles are worn will render your brushing routine inefficient. Replace your brush every three months or sooner if signs of wear appear.
Invest in an Affordable Dentist
Good dental care is essential for protecting your teeth, but brushing alone is rarely enough to ensure optimal oral health. Visit an affordable dentist at least twice a year for a thorough check-up and professional dental cleaning.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Tampa, call Advanced Dental Care of Tampa today at (813) 701-3088 or make an appointment.
Advanced Dental Care offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Tampa. With 21 affiliated practices throughout Florida, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Advanced Dental Care of Tampa, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Advanced Dental Care of Tampa.